Spiced Red Cabbage Posted on
January 3, 2014 by
I remember an evening in Aachen, dining in our favourite restaurant and the waiter recommending for us to try the seasonal wild game. We agreed to taste a Bavarian dear, served with the most deliciously spiced red cabbage I have ever tried. Red cabbage with apples, together with mashed potatoes is often served as a side dish for sausages at home, but the thought has never occurred to me to cook it myself rather than buying it ready-made from the shop. Not until we tasted this delicious red cabbage in Germany, and I understood that we have been missing something of the exquisite flavours this dish should have.
And here I am, during the Christmas season, cooking my first ever spiced red cabbage with apples, and I can assure you, the kitchen already smells absolutely divine.
- 1 medium size hard red cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded
- 5 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red or white vinegar
- 4 tbsp redcurrent jelly
- 300ml water
- 1 bay leave
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 50g butter
- Melt the butter in a large casserole and add the finely chopped onions. Leave them to soften for 5 min.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, mixing well and letting them simmer on medium heat for 2 – 2.30h until the cabbage has soften.
- Mix occasionally, making sure that the cabbage never remains dry. Add additional water if required. Cabbage is ready when soft and glossy.
- Serve immediately as a side dish for sausages, meat & potato dishes.