Red Pesto & Salami canapés Posted on
January 5, 2014 by
Celebrations, Parties, Recipes, Starters
This post is also available in:
There is a tradition in our family to start special occasion parties with Champaign and small samples of delicious canapés. Every year the question is the same, do I prepare something new or do I rely on the well tested delicious examples made through the previous festive occasions. This year, inspired by the New Year celebrations I have decided to carry on the seasonal theme during my birthday party by preparing these delicious puff pastry red pesto & salami snowflake canapés. They have turned out to be quite delicious and I will definitely try them again. A perfect accompaniment to my favourite Duval-Leroy Brut Rosé Champaign.
- 1 puff pastry roll
- 50g dried red tomato pesto (Bertolli Pesto Rosso)
- 12 thinly sliced salami disks (disk no larger than a teaspoon)
- 12 tsp of rasped parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk for brushing
- Unroll the puff pastry and let it rest for 20min in room temperature.
- Select two snowflake cookie cutters, one larger and one smaller form. Lightly press the large and the smaller cookie forms on the puff pastry to measure how many canapés you will be able to make out of the puff pastry disk. With the size of my cookie cutters I was able to cut 12 larger snowflakes and 12 smaller from the puff pastry.
- Lay a baking tray with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 200C. Cut first the larger snowflakes and lay them on the baking tray. Spoon half teaspoon of red pesto in the centre or each snowflake and top with a salami disk. Cut the smaller snowflakes from the puff pastry and lay them one after another on top of the salami in the centre of the larger snowflakes. Brush the smaller snowflakes with egg yolk and generously sprinkle rasped parmesan cheese over the canapés. Bake for 15 min until golden brown. Serve warm.