Grilled Halloumi Cheese Salad Posted on
June 6, 2015 by
This post is also available in:
Its early June. The days are pregnant with the heavy promise of summer, but the first bright-eyed, sun-kissed, warm-embracing day has not arrived yet. My soul is waiting. Waiting… to finally step out of the door without being greeted by the fresh morning chill, but by a happy blue sky instead. Waiting… for the touch of the invisible fingers of the wind in my long curly hair to finally whisper of the honey-kehlibar shade of the warm African desert rather then the aqua marine icebergs of the North sea. Waiting… for a field of flowers to cascade its scent over me, blinding my eyes with colour. Waiting… to pick up a ripe apricot from a tree and to taste heaven in its aroma.
Calling the summer to finally come, I am preparing a dinner of warm salad with grilled sweet paprika and cheery tomatoes, melting grilled halloumi cheese and fresh cucumber, mint and basil. Every bite is a sweet perfection and a long lasting promise that the days of sunny barbecues and chilled Chardonnay, surrounded by the smiling faces of family and friends, are indeed coming near.
(Serves 2 people)
- 1 Spanish red paprika
- 1 cucumber
- 250g halloumi cheese
- 6 red cherry tomatoes
- a handfull of pine nuts
- Black pepper
- fresh mint and basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat a grated grilling pan pan and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Cut the halloumi cheese in four thin slices.
- Grill on both sides the halloumi cheese and take out of the pan.
- Cut the red paprika on thick slides (4 or 6 depending on the size of the paprika).
- Place the paprika in the pan and season with salt and black pepper. Grill on both sides the paprika and take out of the pan.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Place in the grilling pan and season with salt and black pepper. Grill for less then a minute and take out of the pan.
- Peal the cucumber and cut it in thin circles.
- Roast a handful of pine nuts.
- Place the salad on a serving plate, by arranging the drilled paprika, the cucumber, the grilled halloumi cheese, the grilled tomatoes, drizzling with olive oil and scattering roasted pine nuts and fresh mint and basil leaves on top.