Aubergine Mozzarella Toast Posted on
August 4, 2013 by
The summer has many tastes and flavours to me. Starting with the irresistible sweetness of fruits and ending with the abundance of fresh vegetables, offering so many varieties of cooking inspirations. Yet, if there should be one iconic dish that sums up all the summer flavours for me, then it will be this light and extraordinary tasty aubergine and mozzarella toast in a sweet tomato sauce. Starting with the delicate crunchiness of the toast, contrasted by the bitter-sweet juicy flavour of the aubergine and the melted mozzarella, then surprised by the fresh richness of the marinated half-sun-dried tomatoes in perfect harmony with the basil leaves and kissed by the soft sweetness of the tomato sauce – real summer perfection!
For the mozzarella aubergine toast
- 2 aubergines, cut in circles
- 500g mozzarella
- 250g half-dry tomatoes
- 4 slices of bread
- bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Salt & black pepper
- cooking vegetable butter
For the tomato sauce
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 tbs sugar
- Black pepper
- Red chilly powder
- 1/2 vegetable bouillon
- olive oil
- Melt a table spoon of cooking vegetable butter in a large pan and add the slices of bread to toast. When golden brown at one side, turn the toast around until ready on both sides. Lay the toasted slices of bread on a tray covered with baking paper.
- Cut the aubergine in thin circles. Melt the vegetable butter in a large pan and let the aubergines bake until slightly golden brown on each side. Season with salt and pepper. When ready, take out of the pan and let them slightly cool, resting aside.
- Preparing the toast: Cut the mozzarella in thin circles. Lay a slice of aubergine on top of the already toasted slices of bread, cover with mozzarella, half-sun-dry tomato and basil leaf and repeat starting with aubergine… until a tower has been formed. Pin each tower with a toothpick stick to hold them firmly together while the baking in the oven. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 225C preheated oven for 5 minutes, until the mozzarella starts to melt.
- Preparing the tomato sauce: Heat 0.5l of water and let the tomatoes rest in it for 5 min. Take them out and peal the tomato skin. Cut the tomatoes in small pieces. Heat a few drizzles of olive oil in a deep pan and add the already cut in small pieces tomatoes. Let them simmer for 10 min, then start seasoning with red chilly powder, salt and pepper, sugar and half vegetable bouillon. Mix well and taste. If the sauce is too thick add some water. If the sauce is too thin add some flour. Mix and season well to taste.
- Serve the aubergine mozzarella toast with the tomatoes sauce and fresh basil leaves.